Pride Plumbing of Rochester flushed a tankless hot water heater in Pittsford, NY.
Below are some common questions regarding the care and maintenance for tankless water heaters.
What is a tankless water heater?
- A tankless hot water heater is also called an on-demand water heater or an instant hot water heater. They instantly heat water as it flows through the device without the use of a storage tank.
Why install a tankless water heater?
- Tankless hot water heaters allow customers to get hot water at an unlimited supply. A licensed professional plumber should be called for installing a tankless hot water heater so you and your family can take back-to-back showers and never run out of hot water!
Do tankless water heaters save money?
- Yes! Tankless water heaters will save you money in the long run. The base price for a tankless water heater may be more than a traditional hot water tank, however, they can be up to 34% more energy efficient than the standard hot water tank and can last more than twice the life.
Tankless gas water heater or tankless electric water heater - which one?
- This is one of the most common questions regarding water heaters. Sometimes, people do not have a choice between gas and electric. However, if you do get to choose, there are some things to consider.
- Tankless Gas Water Heater
- Gas units are designed to burn natural gas or propane and most manufacturers offer a natural gas model and a propane model. Gas water heaters could be beneficial for large families with high hot water needs. However, these units are higher maintenance and are less energy efficient.
- Tankless Electric Water Heater
- Electrical water heaters are easier to troubleshoot and are extremely energy efficient. Also, electricity prices tend to fluctuate less than gas prices.
What does it mean to winterize a tankless water heater?
- Winterizing a tankless water heater means preparing it for the cold weather. Most manufacturers do not cover damage caused by freezing under their warranties, so they may need a little extra care during the chilly season. Take a look at this article to learn why winterizing your tankless water heater is so important and how to get your tankless water heater ready for the winter.
What does flushing a tankless water heater mean?
- Flushing a tankless water heater simply means to clean it out with a descaling agent, which removes sediment or build up.
What happens if I don’t flush out my tankless water heater?
- Mineral deposits may build up. This could cause a clog within the unit and may prevent normal heating activity. Your hot water could also fluctuate and overheat the system, impacting its efficiency.
What are the benefits of flushing out a tankless water heater?
- Reduces clogging: Tankless water heaters can develop mineral backups and by flushing it out with a descaling agent, it prevents the chances of clogging.
- Reduces noise: If your tankless water heater is making noise, there is likely build up within the tank. If the noise goes away on its own, the buildup could be so solidified that water can no longer efficiently pass through.
- Heating speed improvement: The more build up there is in the tankless water heater, the longer the heat transfer takes. Regular flushing can get your tankless water heater back to optimal efficiency.
- Equipment lifespan: When flushed out with a descaling solution, you are helping the tankless water heater last longer.
- Cost: If your tankless water heater is clogged, it is harder for the water to pass through, which means more energy needs to be used to produce the hot water, which equals higher bills! Regular flushing increases water flow and can significantly cut costs.
How often should I have my tankless water heater flushed out?
- Tankless water heaters should be flushed out every year to 2 years.
Why should I have my tankless water heater flushed out so regularly?
- The areas around Rochester, NY that are served by the Monroe County Water Authority have moderately hard water, which means tankless water heaters need to be flushed out more regularly.
What is hard water and how does it impact my tankless water heater?
- Water hardness is a measure of the mineral content of water. In Monroe County, the water is considered to be moderately hard. It contains between 5.6 and 7.6 grains per gallon of hard water. Homeowners living in Rochester, NY or Monroe County do not need a water softener, however getting your tankless water heater flushed out with a descaling solution is especially important due to the moderate hard water.
Do I need a professional for flushing out my tankless water heater?
- Yes! It is always a good idea to call a licensed professional plumber.
What else does Pride Plumbing do for tankless water heaters?
- We clean them! Below are the various parts of a tankless water heater that we clean, what they do, and why we need to clean them.
- Inlet water screen
- This screen is meant to keep particles from entering the water flow meter and damaging it. It should be cleaned periodically for maximum efficiency.
- Water filter screen
- This is another way to ensure that the water entering your tankless heater is free of debris and excessive materials. The water filter screen filters the sediment from the water and it filters the water before it enters the tankless units.
- Temperature and pressure valve
- Valves within your tankless water heater may fail. If the valve fails, there could be flooding, leaking, tank rupture, noise, and dirt build up. In this case, your valve would need to be repaired or replaced.
- Condensate trap
- Condensate traps are necessary because they allow for the condensate to flow out. If this is not properly functioning, it could cause a flooding problem.
- Inlet water screen
Do I need to call a plumber near me just to have part of my tankless water heater cleaned?
- Yes! If there is a problem with your tankless water heater, a specific part of it may need to be cleaned. There are various parts to a tankless water heater, so it is always best to call a licensed professional plumber to help with your water heater needs.
What brands of tankless water heaters does Pride Plumbing carry?
- At Pride Plumbing, we only carry high-efficiency tankless water heaters that would be beneficial to your home. The brand of tankless water heaters that we carry is Navien.
- Navien tankless water heaters are energy star rated, which saves energy and money in the long run. These tankless water heaters can also be paired with the RG&E rebate that can save you $200! They also have a sleek look to them and are 80% smaller than traditional tank water heaters.
Alice from Pittsford stated, “We called Pride Plumbing to service our tankless water heater and fix a leak in our shower. Keith arrived and was quick to the task. He assessed the situation, gave us a quote, and offered us several options. Two and a half hours later, we had a clean tankless water heater (yes, they take a long time to service) and a leak-free shower! Thank you, Keith, for your kind, courteous service. We will definitely use Pride Plumbing again!”
Are you thinking, “who is a plumber near me that can help with my tankless water heater?”